Yield: 8-10 | Prep time: 40 minutes | Cook Time: 35-40 minutes
Recipe by Mariah Reil, MS, RD, LN
For the pastry:
2 ½ cups all purpose flour
½ tsp salt
1 egg, beaten
4 tbsp very cold butter, cubed
½ cup ice water
1 egg + 1 tbsp water, beaten for egg wash
For the filling:
1 lb lean, grass fed ground beef
1 stalk of celery, finely diced
1 large carrot, peeled and grated
2 medium russet potatoes, peeled and finelly diced
1 small yellow onion, minced
2 tsp minced garlic
½ cup mixed vegetables or peas
1 cup low sodium beef broth
1 tsp olive oil
1 tsp chili powder
1 tsp ground cumin
½ tsp ground cinnamon
1 tsp black pepper
½ tsp salt
- Make the pastry: in a large bowl or food processor, combine the flour and salt. Mix or pulse to combine. Add the cubed butter and cut into flour until small, rice-sized crumbs form and no large chunks of butter remain.
- Add the egg and water. Mix to combine and just bring together, but not over mixing. Wrap ball of dough in plastic wrap and chill in the fridge to rest while you make the filling.
- Make the filling: in a pot, bring 3-4 cups of water to a boil. Add potatoes and cook until fork-tender, about 5-10 minutes.
- In a large skillet, brown the beef with the carrot, onion, and celery. When the potatoes are cooked, drain and add to beef mixture.
- Add the garlic and spices. Stir to combine. Add the olive oil.
- To the filling, add the broth and mixed vegetables. Stir to combine and let simmer until most of the liquid has disappeared, about 5 minutes.
- Set filling aside to cool slightly. Remove dough from fridge and roll on a floured surface. Divide into 8-10 equal balls. Roll each into an even circle, about 6-8inches in diameter.
- Fill each circle with 1/3 to ½ cup of filling. Fold and tuck dough in half to seal filling. Use a fork or fingers to seal and press edges together.
- Place empanadas on a greased or parchment lined baking sheet. Brush with egg wash.
- Bake at 375 for 30-35 minutes, until golden brown. Enjoy!